As we come upon one year since the passing of our beloved colleague, friend and mentor, Dr. Alma Salazar, the UNITE-LA family is honoring her by committing ourselves to do even more for the youth of Los Angeles.
At the time of her passing, Alma served as UNITE-LA’s Executive Vice President with her predominant focus on education and workforce development initiatives and policies.
In our efforts to reach more students, youth and impact more lives, we are asking all of you to join us in honoring Alma.
It is fitting that LAUSD denotes October as College Awareness Month, since we know how much Alma would have asked all of us to join that commemoration by working to encourage students to complete financial aid applications, whether it be through hands-on help or simply by spreading the word.
Since her first day with UNITE-LA in 2000, Alma worked to build business/education partnerships to improve academic achievement, life-long learning, and career success for California’s students. She worked especially hard for the historically underrepresented students and championed DACA youth to ensure they too had every chance to access and succeed in higher education. Alma was a true social justice warrior. Because of her efforts, the youth of today and generations to come have a better future.
Not only are all of us at UNITE-LA so grateful to have the privilege and blessing to have worked alongside Alma, but also, we are the better for it.
The UNITE-LA Family
Join us in honoring Alma’s legacy! There are many ways!
- Share financial aid completion resources and information with your networks, friends, family, community, or whomever you think could benefit! We have a toolkit to help you do so!
- Let those same contacts know about the L.A. Cash for College workshops currently happening virtually. They can be found at lacashforcollege.org/events.
- Follow, share and repost our social media around financial aid completion and L.A. Cash for College. You can find us at @LACash4College.
- Help L.A. area youth cover the costs of college by contributing to the Dr. Alma Salazar Scholarship Fund.*
- Do what you feel best to show your honor for Alma!
- Let us know how you honored Alma! Feel free to share your story on social media, using the hashtag #AlwaysAlma. Or drop us a line at [email protected].
*If you prefer to send a check, you can do so with a note indicating, Alma Salazar Scholarship, to our office address: UNITE-LA Wilshire Blvd. Suite 1750 | Los Angeles, CA 90017.